User-Experience sits at the nexus of business, technology, and user (or customer) concerns. My focus as a designer is to balance these sometimes competing areas, to advocate for and empathize with the user while not losing sight of business goals.
Seasoned web and mobile app user experience (UX) product designer. Expert in problem solving, rapid prototyping, UX writing, interaction design, collaborating cross-functionally, mentoring junior designers, and working in an enterprise Agile development environment.
Extensive experience with user research, testing, design thinking: customer journeys, user flows, persona creation as well as graphic design: typography, image creation, and branding.
2017 – present
Senior Product Designer
Liberty Mutual Insurance Co.
Lead the digital auto claims management UX design and research practice empowering customers to self-service over 300k claims annually
Highlights of my role include:
- Designed mobile web photo collection application for customers to get a quick estimate of the cost to repair their damaged vehicles – including camera overlays, card flow and layout – representing $4-6 million in savings annually and over 220k claims
- Reimagined the customer-facing application for body shop location and scheduling, streamlining the flow, creating a reusable search pattern, and shortening claim resolution by 10 days on average since go live in April 2019
- Removed the barrier between the online claim filing and managing applications by eliminating the confirmation pages — seamlessly passing users from one to the other — resulting in 90% of customers interacting with our app when only 37% of those filing over the phone do the same
- Modernized an application linking body shops to Liberty Mutual customers’ claims, simplifying the registration process — resulting in double the number of registered shops — from 6,600-12,000 since the redesign went live in September 2018
- Launched an experimental insurance product called Lulo to gauge interest in simple renter’s
insurance Created the claims filing process and mapped the entire customer flow to enable
2015 – 2017
Senior UX Designer
Imagitas, a Red Ventures Co.
Imagitas partners with the US Postal Service to fulfill the change of address process. We monetize the flow by connecting businesses to the moving public through the Internet Change of Address Form (ICOA), offline official communications, and other products.
Highlights of my role include:
- The sole UX (user experience) designer on a small product team dedicated to continually improving the online process and expanding the portfolio of other digital products
- Implementing research and industry best practices to create wireframes, finished visual designs, and interactive prototypes in both mobile and desktop contexts
- Collaborating with the development team, in an agile environment (using Jira), to see the tests move to production
- Working cross-functionally with the print creative team and the research team to develop new ways to promote the online change of address process
- Designed multiple versions of the ICOA, display ads, and success pages for A/B testing
- Designed a new mobile web single-page view of the ICOA
- Aligned the ICOA with current USPS branding
- Facilitated a design sprint for a change of address/mail management app
- Collaborated with creative team on retail display for USPS in-store promotion of the ICOA
- Developed a script and mock ups for SMS version of ICOA with a conversational chatbot interface
- All projects completed with a combination of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, and InvisionApp
previously: 2005 – 2015
Senior Web/UX Designer
Responsible for website design, information architecture, front-end development, and content management for EMC Education Services’ enterprise-wide site Education.emc.com.
Instrumental in executing a comprehensive site redesign, including revised architecture, look-and- feel, content flow, and integration with EMC Education Services’ learning management system.
Design, Research, Business
Prototyping (Invision, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.)
Adobe Creative Cloud
John is one of those rare people that can combine his creative design abilities, technical knowledge and analytics skills to come up with amazing experiences. He's the kind of guy that can sit with a group of developers one day talking through how to approach the coding of a design, and then the next day he's navigating analytics reports looking for user patterns that will help him design a physical retail display to be used in thousands of locations. He's absolutely an asset to any UX team.Tim BlacquierDirector, Online Product Management at Imagitas
John is a very talented individual. He is a thorough, detailed-oriented and creative designer. In the projects that we collaborated on at EMC, John always demanded the best deliverables and advocated for providing our end-users the best experience.Joyce FlanneryGlobal Command Center, Senior Manager at Dell NTT Data
John was easy to work with and willingly helped coworkers and team members with issues as well as answering questions ranging from web analytics to code. I am very happy to recommend John and am sure that he would be an asset to any organization.
John and I have collaborated on several projects recently and he is not only a pleasure to work with, but he is able to manage multiple client demands with great poise and attention to detail. John is creative and strives for excellence in his work. He is a wonderful colleague that thinks with a "team" mentality in all that he does.CarrieAnne St. AmandProgram Manager/Product Owner/Change Agent at LexisNexis Risk Solutions
John and I worked together on many projects surrounding the Sales Education Portal for the internal EMC sales force. He was responsive, flexible and creative. He was helpful in clarifying how our requirements could be met within the existing technology framework of the site. He is conscientious, works well on his own or within a team, and follows through on commitments.Andy HodgensSales Program Manager at Dell EMC
He would make a good addition to any team.
John is an excellent colleague. We worked together easily on a number of projects over the years. He is a detail-oriented creative designer who always advocated for the end users of our products.Ray ZeranskiIT Business Partner Consultant at Dell Technologies
During his time at EMC, John has worked on a variety of high-profile projects and was a pivotal member of the team that originally built out the Education portal (http://education.emc.com/) for our external customers, partners, and internal employees. He was an integral part of our team with collecting business requirements, site architecture, UI design, content layout, and graphics.